Ready To Read-Draft

When I entered into room 619 (booyaka booyaka) for the first time this fall semester, I envisioned a "regular" English class. I thought that I would just enter the class, sit down with some familiar faces and the teacher would introduce the class as well as their self. When I actually sat down, it felt different from previous classes. Even before Preston spoke, the atmosphere and mood felt... comfortable. It had an understanding feeling to it. Like their was equal respect between the teacher and the students. After some simple conversation, Dr. Preston walked out of the class and left us to choose for ourselves. He gave us a choice. Either to read from the textbooks and continue on with the regular curriculum. Or to learn with Open-Source Learning. I can't remember the exact words used that day, but what I do remember is that he mentioned that we could choose what we wanted to learn. It put our own interests into the curriculum meanwhile still keeping the classical literature class aspect to it. When we did choose Open-Source, we didn't waste anytime. We got straight to working. We started off with writing in our semi-personal journals.We write about our personal experiences, what's happening in the world today, society around us, and not being afraid to challenge the system. Sometimes I think he wants us to fight for our dreams and beliefs. I think we should as well. After that, we start our very own blog. At first, everyone has a little trouble with it. Either figuring out how to set up a link, the name of the blog, or just familiarizing themselves with the program. For myself personally, it took some time getting used to typing out my thoughts and publishing them for public viewing. But after a while, I got used to it.

Comments

Popular Posts